Thursday, July 17, 2014

What Did I Write About on Yahoo Voices?

Other than my Old Roads Once Traveled blog, Yahoo Voices was the first website I wrote for online, or for that matter, for the public to read. As a new and rather intimidated (not to mention timid) writer, I admit to being at a loss for ideas. I knew I wanted to create a niche offering advice to owners of diabetic cats, so my experience with Guiness' diabetes was an obvious inspiration.

That written, submitted, and published, I was then faced with the "what next?" question. Nothing inspires writer's block faster than that question. Writing is easy. Coming up with topics can be hard. Fortunately a reunion concert with former members of the Cathedrals (one of my all-time favorite Southern Gospel quartets) had just been announced. I wrote up a short news story, submitted it, waited, and it was published a week after my first article.

Those two articles are my top articles on Yahoo Voices, being viewed just over 460 times each over the last 12 months and earning me 39 cents in performance pay (for views), not counting the $3.23 upfront payment I received on the first article.

By comparison, had I published those on Bubblews, I would have gotten paid over $4.60 each for views, plus a penny for each like and comment. And that is just one of the reasons the Yahoo Contributor Network--while I am adamant about being glad I joined--got neglected very quickly once I joined Bubblews.

I followed those two articles with two book reviews, an article about the Book of Kells, a how-to/review on uses for toothpaste, one assigned topic, and a museum review.

My total views for the eight articles surpassed a whopping 2000 views and failed to make me rich beyond my wildest dreams. Still, I don't regret the time or the effort I put into them, and I remain continually grateful for the Yahoo Contributor Network and it's Academy for the training and experience they gave me. If they weren't closing, I would highly recommend anyone interested in writing online get their start there.

Here are the eight articles I published on Yahoo Voices, but they will only be available to view until July 31, 2014.


7 Things Not to Do when Your Cat Has Diabetes

Cathedrals Family Reunion Brings Together Former Cathedral Quartet Members

Little Farm in the Ozarks by Roger Lea MacBride
 
Little House on Rocky Ridge by Roger Lea MacBride
 
What is the Book of Kells?

Putting Toothpaste to the Test
 
5 Life Lessons I Learned Teaching Piano Lessons

Seven Springs Museum in Powder Springs, Georgia 

 
 










 
 




 
 























 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment